Re: A WorldNetDaily.com article fromwilliam.e.hamiltonjr@gm.com

From: Innovatia <dennis@innovatia.com>
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 16:23:08 EDT

Greetings, ASA list and old friends!

I am in my ninth month of residency in Belize and have settled in my cottage
in the jungle
here, just enough to rejoin the discussion somewhat, two days a week when I
go to town for Interneting.

I agree with Ted Davis's points about statist education, as far as he takes
it, but I would go farther.

In regard to the U.S. Constitution (which I distinguish from the Law of
God),
the church-state flaw was built in from the beginning. In response, what
follows is an excerpt from my new book (XLM) on this:

The "wall of separation" legal doctrine has been discussed much since the
late 1940s, when its meaning was inverted by the US Supreme Court. In his
letter to the Danbury Baptists, Jefferson referred to "the usurping
domination of one sect over another," not restraint on the influence of
Christianity on government. Today, some significant fraction of the American
church is occupied with the effort to keep Christianity in public places or
in government. Nevertheless, Jefferson's letter hints of relegating religion
to private life or to the mind. The seeds of marginalized religion are
evident when he wrote to them: "... society shall here know that the limit
of its rightful power is the enforcement of social conduct; while the right
to question the religious principles producing that conduct is beyond their
cognisance." In other words, society has no authority to tell you what to
believe as long as your beliefs result in the behavior society has the right
to enforce. Society will enforce its morality and you may accept it on
whatever basis you choose.

The root problem, as I see it, is that the colonial governments, which were
explicitly based on recognition of Christ's authority, were subverted by a
Constitution in which the ultimate authority for determining right and wrong
(via its given procedure) is "we the people". For human beings to make up
their own laws (i.e., determine right and wrong for themselves) was the
essence of the fall in the Garden of Eden, and defines humanism.

The culture wars are the visible clash between the historic Christian
remnant and the dominant humanism. These wars are almost always fought on
the humanist high ground. Prayer in schools, for example, is an attempt to
reinstitute Christian influence on students, though the underlying humanism
of state education goes unchallenged by such efforts. Of those favoring
school prayer, most also favor allowing the State to indoctrinate the minds
of youth. Even Socrates would have been appalled, no less God's people in
other times. Biblical commandments place the responsibility for education
upon parents, not a foreign State. And even if school prayer were
re-established, to whom would these prayers be directed in a fragmented
society of multiple worldviews? Should Christian students be praying to a
common-denominator god acceptable to incompatible factions of society?

The problem with teaching evolution is parallel, but the deeper problem, as
Ted suggested, is that education always rests upon some worldview. Which one
shall it be in a state-controlled school system of a society with multiple,
incompatible worldviews?

Saludos,

Dennis Feucht