Re: Science and Theology

From: Douglas Barber <dlbarber1954@verizon.net>
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 12:36:44 EDT

wallyshoes wrote:

>I occasionally teach mathematics to students at a Christian High School. Given
>the opportunity to so, I pass out a “business card” which has a “down conversion
>rainbow” (see:
>http//paradoxscientic.comhttp://userpages.umbc.edu/~dstrek1/bbo1.jpeg)
>
>on one side and Maxwell's equations, juxtaposed with “let there be light” from
>Genesis, on the reverse.
>
>I tell the students that, by studying mathematics, they can eventually
>understand and solve those equations. However, it is God who puts fire into
>those equations and sustains them at the present time. Without God, they are
>just lifeless equations on a card.
>
>Simplistic theology to be certain, but both the students and I can relate to it.
>
>Walt

It seems excellent to me, I have shelves full of books I'd gladly trade
for that insight. I am strongly inclined to think that the more rightly
we appreciate God, the more clearly we discern that what can be known
about God could be understood by anyone who would understand it - what
stands in the way is not a lack of intelligence, ingenuity or research
on our part but a bad will that doesn't want to let go of inordinate
self-exaltation and employs every means, and especially self-deception,
to hang on to it.

With regard to something that came up in passing earlier in this thread
(Dr. David Campbell wrote, in part,

"Dealings with mankind are, as far as we know, His primary interaction in the sense of value (e.g., sparrows are of concern, but lesser value, and much less costly to purchase)")

, it could be asked, "Why might God value human beings more highly than
other creatures?" and I think the answer has to do with the fact that in
a small, human way we share with God the capacity to value - and in this
way we uniquely have a capacity to both appreciate and participate in
the value of material creation and of the gift of life within it, and to
appreciate the beauty of right.

Doug Barber
Crisfield, MD