Re: Science and Theology

From: wallyshoes <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 21:02:40 EDT

George Murphy wrote:

> [...]

This is probably a trivial example – but I am not a deep theological person, as
you all know.

I occasionally teach mathematics to students at a Christian High School. Given
the opportunity to so, I pass out a “business card” which has a “down conversion
rainbow” (see:
http//paradoxscientic.comhttp://userpages.umbc.edu/~dstrek1/bbo1.jpeg)

on one side and Maxwell's equations, juxtaposed with “let there be light” from
Genesis, on the reverse.

I tell the students that, by studying mathematics, they can eventually
understand and solve those equations. However, it is God who puts fire into
those equations and sustains them at the present time. Without God, they are
just lifeless equations on a card.

Simplistic theology to be certain, but both the students and I can relate to it.

Walt

> "Intervention," in the sense that God directly "breaks into" the
> usual course of natural processes, would be one form of interaction but by
> no means the only one. I would agree that there is no reason to think that
> in that sense God intervenes beyond the scope of humanity - & rarely then.

(Maybe)

Walt

--
Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>