Fwd: A WorldNetDaily.com article from william.e.hamiltonjr@gm.com

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 20:51:04 EDT

This popped up on World Net Daily today. I certainly agree that the
public schools leave much to be desired. For one thing, in their
desire to not favor one religion over another or none, they are giving
a good many students the impression that religion is irrelevant.
But I also suspect a part of the motive is to "rescue" Christian kids
from the teaching of evolution. In addition it will remove a source of
Christian witness from the public schools.

> To view the entire article, visit
> http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38322
>
> Tuesday, May 4, 2004
> Baptist activists: Pull kids out of school
> By Ron Strom

> 1:00 a.m. Eastern
>
> A resolution that will be considered by the Southern Baptist
> Convention next month calls on the millions of members of the
> denomination to pull their kids out of government schools and either
> homeschool them or send them to Christian schools.
>
> Introduced by a well-known leader of the SBC and a Baptist attorney,
> the resolution asks "all officers and members of the Southern Baptist
> Convention and the churches associated with it to remove their
> children from the government schools and see to it that they receive a
> thoroughly Christian education, for the glory of God, the good of
> Christ's church, and the strength of their own commitment to Jesus."
>

> The authors use Scripture in the resolution to argue those Baptists
> who trust the public-school system with their children are being
> disobedient to God.
>
> "Government schools are by their own confession humanistic and secular
> in their instruction, [and] the education offered by the government
> schools is officially Godless," the measure states.
>
> Noting that "the millions of children in government schools spend
> seven hours a day, 180 days a year being taught that God is irrelevant
> to every area of life," the resolution says, "Many Christian children
> in government schools are converted to an anti-Christian worldview
> rather than evangelizing their schoolmates."
>
> The measure is sponsored by T.C. Pinckney, a retired brigadier general
> who has been active in SBC leadership for several years, and Bruce N.
> Shortt, a homeschooing dad and attorney who holds advanced degrees
> from both Harvard and Stanford.
>
> Shortt says the biggest problem he faces in pushing the resolution is
> that Christian parents are in denial about the dangers of government
> schools.
>
> "At this point, there are many, many pastors and parents who need to
> be educated about our obligation to provide a Christian education to
> our children," Shortt told WND. "In time, most [SBC members] are going
> to understand better that the little red schoolhouse has really become
> the little white sepulcher, and it's a seething cauldron of spiritual,
> moral and academic mythologies."
>
> Shortt says he when he talks to parents, he frames the issue very
> quickly.
>
> "The issue is this," he said, "the government schools are killing our
> children morally, spiritually and academically. The question we
> confront as Christian parents is, how dead do we want our children to
> be?"
>
> He says he views the issue as one of "spiritual blindness," noting
> that roughly 85 percent of Christians send their children to
> government schools.

> [...]

Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148