RE: New book on Hitler and evolution

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 10:53:45 EDT

Dear George,

There are a lot of nations that have officially recognized the Armenian
Genocide. Of course, Turkey denies it. What concerns me as an American
citizen is what my nation says and does. I support President Bush quite
strongly however I wished his statement was more precise and according
to irrefutable historical records that makes it crystal clear that the
Ottoman Empire was responsible of Genocide and not merely that it
happened "at the end of the Ottoman Empire."

Moorad

"On this day, we pause in remembrance of one of the most horrible
tragedies of the 20th century, the annihilation of as many as 1.5
million Armenians through forced exile and murder at the end of the
Ottoman Empire. This terrible event remains a source of pain for people
in Armenia and Turkey and for all those who believe in freedom,
tolerance, and the dignity of every human life. I join with my fellow
Americans and the Armenian community in the United States and around the
world in mourning this loss of life.

The United States is proud of the strong ties we share with Armenia.
From the end of World War I and again since the reemergence of an
independent Armenian state in 1991, our country has sought a partnership
with Armenia that promotes democracy, security cooperation, and free
markets. Today, our Nation remains committed to a peace settlement in
the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and is grateful for Armenia's continuing
cooperation in the war on terror. By advancing understanding and
goodwill, free nations can help build a brighter future for the world.
Our country seeks to help Armenia expand its strategic relations with
the United States and our European allies.

Generations of Armenian Americans have also strengthened our communities
and enriched our Nation's character. By preserving their heritage,
faith, and traditions, Armenian Americans enhance the diversity that
makes America great.

I commend individuals in Armenia and Turkey who have worked to support
peace and reconciliation, including through the Turkish-Armenian
Reconciliation Commission, and call on Armenia and Turkey to restore
their economic, political, and cultural ties. I also send warm wishes
and expressions of solidarity to the Armenian people on this solemn day
of remembrance."

GEORGE W. BUSH