Re: New book on Hitler and evolution

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 07:54:03 EDT

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexanian, Moorad" <alexanian@uncw.edu>
To: "George Murphy" <gmurphy@raex.com>; "Ted Davis" <tdavis@messiah.edu>;
<asa@lists.calvin.edu>; <rweikart@csustan.edu>
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2004 1:42 PM
Subject: RE: New book on Hitler and evolution

> There are two excellent new references regarding the Armenian Genocide.
First and foremost by the genocide scholar Vahakn N. Dadrian, “The History
of the Armenian Genocide: Ethnic conflict from the Balkans to Anatolia to
the Caucasus,”Berghahn Books, 1995, ISBN 1-57181-016-1 and “The Burning
Tigris: The Armenian Genocide and America’s Response,” Peter Balakian,
HarperCollins Publishers, 2003, ISBN 0-06-019840-0.

> On page 403 Dadrian discusses Hitler’s much debated key statement on the
annihilation of the Armenians and Genghis Khan as a role model. Dadrian
writes, “Who after all is today speaking of the destruction of the
 Armenians” (Wer redet heute noch von der Vernichtung der Armenier). The
document was for the first time transmitted to British diplomats in Berlin
in August 1939 by Louis Lochner. For more than two decades, Lochner was
chief of the Berlin Bureau of The Associate Press and for many years, he was
president of the Foreign Press Association there. Sir Neville Henderson,
British Ambassador at Berlin, transmitted the document to London on August
25, 1939. The document purports to be the summary of one or two speeches
Hitler delivered to the Chief Commanders and Commanding Generals at
Obersalzberg, August 22, 1939, in preparation for the impending invasion of
Poland. In essence, Hitler in that speech is admonishing the high ranking
military officers to be brutal and merciless for a quick victory.” [Document
on British Foreign Policy. 1919-1939. E.L. Woodward, R. Butler and A. Orde,
eds. Third Series. Vol. VII, 1939 (London, 1954). Doc. No 314, enclosure.
Pp. 258-260.]

> On page164 discusses the chief propagandist of the CUP (Committee of Union
and Progress, the Young Turks) Ziya Gokalp. Balakian writes, “Gokalp’s
pan-Turkism was bound up in grandiose romantic nationalism and a “mystical
vision of blood and race,” and was influenced by the German nationalism of
Herder and Wagner, who were also key influences on Nazi Aryan ideology.
Gokalp believed that for Turkey to revitalize itself, it had to reclaim a
golden are, which he defined as a pre-Islamic era of Turkic warriors such as
Genghis Khan and Tamerlane. It is ironic that Hitler also extolled Genghis
Khan in his speech about the future of German world domination and his
immediate plan to invade Poland. Speaking to his elite generals eight days
before invading Poland in 1939, Hitler praised the virtues of power and
brutality, referring to how easy it had been to dispense of defenseless
people like the Armenians. “Genghis Khan led millions of women and children
to slaughter—with premeditation and a happy heart. History sees him solely
as the bounder of a state. It’s a matter of indifference to me what a weak
western European civilization will say about me.” And then the fuhrer asked
rhetorically: “Who today, after all, speaks of the annihilation of the
Armenians.” [Louis P. Lochner, What About Germany? (New York: Dodd, Mead &
Co., 1942), 2.]

> I do not know if Richard Weikart in his book inquired on the connections
shown above regarding the motivation of Hitler in carrying on the Final
Solution on the Jews. It seems that Weikart wants to make the link between
Darwin and Hitler and does not invoke the Armenian Genocide and the
rationale given by the Turks for it nor the connection with Germany.

Moorad -
        Thanks for the info. In the Hitler quote, while "destruction" is a
possible translation of "Vernichtung," something stronger like
"annihilation" or "extermination" might be appropriate.
        Of course part of the reason "nobody" remembers the Armenian
genocide is that - if I'm not mistaken - Turkish governments have never
acknowledged that it happened.