RE: New book on Hitler and evolution

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 13:42:25 EDT

There are two excellent new references regarding the Armenian Genocide. First and foremost by the genocide scholar Vahakn N. Dadrian, “The History of the Armenian Genocide: Ethnic conflict from the Balkans to Anatolia to the Caucasus,”Berghahn Books, 1995, ISBN 1-57181-016-1 and “The Burning Tigris: The Armenian Genocide and America’s Response,” Peter Balakian, HarperCollins Publishers, 2003, ISBN 0-06-019840-0.

On page 403 Dadrian discusses Hitler’s much debated key statement on the annihilation of the Armenians and Genghis Khan as a role model. Dadrian writes, “Who after all is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians” (Wer redet heute noch von der Vernichtung der Armenier). The document was for the first time transmitted to British diplomats in Berlin in August 1939 by Louis Lochner. For more than two decades, Lochner was chief of the Berlin Bureau of The Associate Press and for many years, he was president of the Foreign Press Association there. Sir Neville Henderson, British Ambassador at Berlin, transmitted the document to London on August 25, 1939. The document purports to be the summary of one or two speeches Hitler delivered to the Chief Commanders and Commanding Generals at Obersalzberg, August 22, 1939, in preparation for the impending invasion of Poland. In essence, Hitler in that speech is admonishing the high ranking military officers to be brutal and m!
erciless for a quick victory.” [Document on British Foreign Policy. 1919-1939. E.L. Woodward, R. Butler and A. Orde, eds. Third Series. Vol. VII, 1939 (London, 1954). Doc. No 314, enclosure. Pp. 258-260.]

On page164 discusses the chief propagandist of the CUP (Committee of Union and Progress, the Young Turks) Ziya Gokalp. Balakian writes, “Gokalp’s pan-Turkism was bound up in grandiose romantic nationalism and a “mystical vision of blood and race,” and was influenced by the German nationalism of Herder and Wagner, who were also key influences on Nazi Aryan ideology. Gokalp believed that for Turkey to revitalize itself, it had to reclaim a golden are, which he defined as a pre-Islamic era of Turkic warriors such as Genghis Khan and Tamerlane. It is ironic that Hitler also extolled Genghis Khan in his speech about the future of German world domination and his immediate plan to invade Poland. Speaking to his elite generals eight days before invading Poland in 1939, Hitler praised the virtues of power and brutality, referring to how easy it had been to dispense of defenseless people like the Armenians. “Genghis Khan led millions of women and children to slaughter—wit!
h premeditation and a happy heart. History sees him solely as the bounder of a state. It’s a matter of indifference to me what a weak western European civilization will say about me.” And then the fuhrer asked rhetorically: “Who today, after all, speaks of the annihilation of the Armenians.” [Louis P. Lochner, What About Germany? (New York: Dodd, Mead & Co., 1942), 2.]

I do not know if Richard Weikart in his book inquired on the connections shown above regarding the motivation of Hitler in carrying on the Final Solution on the Jews. It seems that Weikart wants to make the link between Darwin and Hitler and does not invoke the Armenian Genocide and the rationale given by the Turks for it nor the connection with Germany.

Moorad