Re: Science and Theology

From: Jan de Koning <jan@dekoning.ca>
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 14:32:55 EDT

At 03:33 AM 01/05/2004 -0700, Don Winterstein wrote:
>Doug Barber wrote:
>
>"...I don't think that it is ever the case that theology can even tend to
>discredit a valid empirical hypothesis (that is, an empirical hypothesis
>which is capable of being either true or false). It may give us reason
>to regard what purports to be a valid empirical hypothesis with special
>suspicion...."
>
>On the other side of this issue we should not lose sight of the fact that
>certain empirical results do not necessarily imply commonly deduced
>theological consequences. For example--as some of us have recently been
>discussing, the apparent haphazardness of organic evolution and the great
>expanses of time taken may seem to require a God who does not intervene by
>coercing nature. But it is not necessary to draw this particular
>conclusion. Depending on God's objectives in the world, the empirical
>observations can be perfectly compatible with occasional coercive divine
>interventions. While the resulting picture would not be as pretty
>philosophically as one involving a totally non-coercive God, logical
>beauty is not a valid theological criterion. If it were, we'd have to
>throw out the heart and substance of the Christian message, which is
>foolishness to the wise of the world. The prettiest solution is not the
>only one compatible with the data and in fact may not be the best.

I believe, that nothing happens outside God's will, except of course, our
sins, though the resulting punishment of our sins are decided from
eternity. Who are we to decide how God rules the world, and what he can,
wants and did do or not do. It is philosophically, logically and
scientifically impossible to decide "God did this" and "God did not do
that." It is difficult to talk about these things, if not impossible,
because we know so much and often we are too proud to admit that we know,
or don't know what God does, though sometimes we should listen better.
In this discussion the great difficulty is, that we often consider
"eternity" to be extended time. But "time" is just as much created by God
as length and breadth. When someone died my grandfather used to say "he is
outside time".
Jan de Koning