Fw: NYTimes.com Article: Darwin-Free Fun for Creationists

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 08:02:02 EDT

Scroll down through the advertisement and read: the ever-energetic Kent
Hovind has entered another part of the entertainment business--theme parks,
while the more sober-minded Ken Ham moves forward with his own science
complex. I want to try the Jumpasaurus.

Bob

Subject: NYTimes.com Article: Darwin-Free Fun for Creationists

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/theclearing/index_nyt.html

> [...]
> at least 20 years," she said. "So I'm not surprised they
> are the ones sponsoring group vacations and theme parks and
> things like that."
>
> Dinosaur Adventure Land, tucked behind a highway lined with
> car dealerships in this metropolitan area of 425,000, sits
> next to Mr. Hovind's home and the offices of Creation
> Science Evangelism, which he said he founded in 1989. Mr.
> Hovind is well known in Pensacola, and even in a region
> where religious billboards almost outnumber commercial ones
> he is controversial. Escambia County sued him in 2000 after
> he refused to get a $50 permit before building his theme
> park, saying the government had no authority over a church.
>
> Just last week Internal Revenue Service agents used a
> search warrant to remove financial documents from Mr.
> Hovind's home and offices, saying he was not paying taxes
> and had neither a business license nor tax-exempt status
> for his enterprises.
>
> Mr. Hovind did not want to discuss the I.R.S.
> investigation, saying only, "I don't have any tax
> obligations."
>
> The man who calls himself Dr. Dino is also controversial
> among creationists, some of whom say he discredits their
> movement with some of his pseudo-scientific claims. Mr.
> Hovind got into a dispute in 2002 with Answers in Genesis,
> when he took issue with an article it published called
> "Arguments We Think Creationists Should Not Use." One such
> argument was that footprints found in Texas proved that man
> and dinosaurs coexisted; Mr. Hovind said he considered the
> argument, now abandoned by many creationists, valid. Mr.
> Hovind said he gave 700 lectures a year and that 38,000
> people had visited his park, at $7 a head. According to a
> map that invites visitors to pinpoint their hometown, most
> come from the Florida Panhandle and from Alabama,
> Mississippi and Tennessee.
>
> Rachel Painter, camp director at the Alpha Omega Institute,
> which runs several creationist family summer camps in
> Colorado, said creationist vacations had gained popularity
> as the number of Christian home-schooling families had
> grown. The institute started its camps 18 years ago with 4
> families per session, she said, but now up to 18 attend
> each, and from more states.
>
> Wade and Joan Killingsworth, who belong to a home-schooling
> coalition called Solid Rock Christian School, said they
> took their children to Colonial Williamsburg over spring
> break and came to Dinosaur Adventure Land because it was
> similarly educational. But they and the Passmores, who
> traveled from Alabama with eight minivans of like-minded
> families, said this type of road trip had far more to
> offer.
>
> "We've been to museums, discovery centers, where you have
> to sit there and take the evolutionary stuff," Mr. Passmore
> said. "It feels good for them to finally hear it in a
> public place, something that reinforces their beliefs."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/01/arts/01DINO.html?ex=1084409650&ei=1&en=dad
1f73a6e30ed75

ternalMediaCode=W24AF