Re: Solomon's 'molten sea' revisited

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 19:24:50 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vernon Jenkins" <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net>
To: "George Murphy" <gmurphy@raex.com>; "Donald Nield"
<d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>; "Michael Roberts"
<michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 6:49 PM
Subject: Re: Solomon's 'molten sea' revisited

> Thank you, George. Let me address the points you make, in reverse order:
>
> 1) I already have a life.

    I realized after I sent this post that "Get a life" may be an American
idiom not familiar to everybody. It is used in reference to people who
devote inordinate amounts of their interest, time & energy to essentially
worthless tasks - like those who really care whether or not Ben Affleck &
Jeniffer Lopez ever get married. I realize that you think that in
concerning yourself with the dimensions of the brazen sea you're defending
the Word of God, but you are wasting your time.

> 2) Are you not a preacher? Don't you persist in proclaiming the
gospel
> message -even when the ground appears completely barren?

    Why ask what I do? Why not follow up my suggestion and see what Jesus
said - e.g., in Lk.10:10-11.

> 3) What is so complicated about drawing intelligent people's
attention
> to the facts as I have set them out?

> 4) Your comment regarding the term "error" I find hard to
understand.
> If one knows that pi exceeds 3, but ignores the fact, and uses 3 anyway,
in
> whatever context, then surely one wittingly incurs an error in the end
> result.

        & the same would be true if one said that pi was 3.14159 or any
other finite expression. We all wittingly incur errors when we use rounded
off values - physicists do it all the time when they say the speed of light
is 300,000 km/sec. Roman engineers used pi = 3-1/8 even though they knew
that 3-1/7 was more accurate because eighths are easier to work with than
sevenths. Maybe the writer of I Kg knew that the ratio of circumference to
diameter was approximately 3-1/7 but didn't use that value because saying
"31.14 cubits" in Hebrew numerical terminology would have been clumsy &
interrupted the flow of his prose - considerations of linguistic elegance
rather than (as for the Romans) ease in computation.

        Now lest anyone think I too am desperately in need of a life, I will
say no more about this. & I recommend that everyone else leave the
non-problem of the biblical value of pi, like the non-problem of where Cain
got his wife, severely alone.

Shalom,

George