Re: FW: YEC Destroying Faith

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 18:15:23 EDT

>>Yes, Buirgy, and you may be 9 feet tall. It's logically possible. As
for a change of position, Josephus _Antiquities_ describes the burning of
incense twice a day in the Tabernacle and in the Temple at the time of
the destruction of Jerusalem (III, viii, 3; XIV, iv, 3). Now, it is
logically possible that the high priest entered the Most Holy Place daily
rather than just on the Day of Atonement. But it is silly to make the
claim, though I did not find a reference to the Day of Atonement ceremony
during Josephus' lifetime. >>

I think you miss my point, Dave. I am not defending the ad hoc
explanation -- just pointing out that if one MUST hold to an inerrant
Bible then EITHER he/she must postulate an ad hoc such as I suggested OR
postulate a scribal error.

My chief dialog on subjects of inerrancy is with a KJV-only guy (the KJV
version is, itself, inerrant) and I suspect he will argue for the ad hoc.
But I also dialog with some AIG people who hold to inerrancy only for
"the originals," and I suspect they will pick "scribal error."

The Josephus writings, not being canon, are irrelevant to the question of
course. They are evidence for my own position, but that's not what I
argue here.

Thanks, BTW, for pointing out the problem. I was quite unaware of it.

Burgy (who IS 9' tall if a foot = 7.375")

www.burgy.50megs.com/astory.htm (a story to tell)

Ubi Caritas

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!