Re: FW: YEC Destroying Faith

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 12:39:47 EDT

>>The quoted sentence is part of a larger whole that began with
acceptance of Glenn's claim that God's word must be error free, so that
any error makes it other than revelation. Then I cited Hebrews 9:2 and 3,
which place the altar of incense (AV censer, altar of incense in the
margin) in the Holy of Holies with the chest of the covenant. Since the
Holy of Holies was entered only once a year, and the high priest was to
burn incense daily, and the lengthy description of the building and
erecting the Tabernacle in the Pentateuch places the altar in the Holy
Place, there is a factual mistake in Hebrews, even in the late texts used
by the AV translators. Critical editions agree. Since you do not share
Glenn's assumption about revelation, it zipped past you. Not sharing
Glenn's presuppositions does not make you dense.>>

OK, I see the argument. My suppositions (or Glenn's) is not the issue.

The arguments seems to be: Hebrews says one thing about a certain piece
of furniture and the early part of the OT says something else, therefore
there is an error.

Unless, though, the OT says the placement will be permanent, it is
logically possible the placement was changed later on and therefore no
error actually exists.

So I still cannot see a demonstrated error here. Logically, the Hebrews
description cannot be falsified.

Burgy

www.burgy.50megs.com/astory.htm (a story to tell)

Ubi Caritas