Re: Coercion

From: Howard J. Van Till <>
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 11:04:57 EDT

On 4/23/04 10:31 AM, "Alexanian, Moorad" <> wrote:

> One is always on tenuous ground when discussing how God interacts with
> His creation. The only thing we can be certain of is how humans try to
> make sense of all that we can detect by human or physical devices.

AND by disciplined reflection on the totality of the human experience.

> Certainly the human vision of creation is based on us being creatures
> and part of the physical universe.

> God's view is from "outside," which
> we can NEVER imagine nor understand---unless by divine revelation.

I find this statement typical of a theological tradition that places so much
emphasis of the idea of divine transcendence that reflection on divine
immanence is effectively suppressed.

As I once wondered if we need to develop a more robust concept of
non-coercive divine action (in the context of so much emphasis on coercive
supernatural intervention), so also I wonder if we need to develop a more
robust concept of divine immanence (in the context of so much emphasis on
divine transcendence).

In fact, I would see these two questions closely related. Are not the ideas
of supernatural intervention and transcendence closely related? Similarly,
are not the ideas of non-coercive divine action and divine immanence also
closely related?

[And, I might also suggest, there may be a similar connection between the
idea of supernatural action and the idea of revelation by means of biblical
inspiration of the (YEC and others) sort that we were talking about

Howard Van Till