Re: Dembski on the backlash against ID

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 19:50:34 EDT

On Thursday, April 22, 2004, at 09:04 AM, Howard J. Van Till wrote:

> My chapter in Three Views on Creation and Evolution (Zondervan, 1999)
> is titled “The Fully-Gifted Creation.” Over my objections, the editors
> insisted on using the term “theistic evolution” on the book’s cover
> and as a subtitle of my chapter. At my insistence, the first page of
> my chapter included the following footnote to the “Theistic Evolution”
> subtitle:     “Although the author of this chapter finds this label to
> have serious shortcomings, the editors have nonetheless chosen to
> employ it. The reader is encouraged to take careful note of the
> reasons, stated within this chapter, why the author asks that his
> position be known, not as theistic evolution, but as the fully-gifted
> creation perspective.

I have resisted the theistic evolutionist moniker because it seemed to
make theism a modification of evolutionism. With me it's quite the
opposite: I'm a theist who admits that evolution has a legitimate place
in God's creative toolkit. Evolutionary creationist doesn't do it for
me either, because I think it's just confusing terminology to most
people. I like the "fully gifted creation perspective." Thanks,
Howard.
Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148