Re: YEC Destroying Faith

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 17:09:24 EDT

<mostly snipped>

If there is a way - and I believe there must be - to ultimately ground
our beliefs about God in anything other than the degree to which a
proposed belief or system of beliefs emotionally satisfies us, I have
not yet discovered it in any way that I can clearly articulate, and it
seems to me to be something of the utmost importance.

Doug,
I agree that there must be a way to ground our beliefs. I believe that
there is. Christianity is the ONE historical faith. I think it was Ramsay
who intended to show up the errors in the New Testament by archeological
evidence, and was forced to the conclusion that Luke was a first-rate
historian. Then there was the chap who intended to debunk the
resurrection, and became a believer. Can't think of his name, but I think
the book was _Who Moved the Stone?_ Most of the New Testament was
written by men who claimed to be eyewitnesses, and there appears to be
mounting evidence that their writings existed in the first century. No
time for myths to develop. No chance to deceive those still living who
had also been observers.

J. B. Phillips wrote that translating the New Testament was like rewiring
a building with the mains energized. This can be dismissed as a purely
subjective matter, but the similar effects across civilizations, peoples,
tribes, cultures, etc., carries some weight. There is a transforming
power in the gospel.
Dave