Re: FW: YEC Destroying Faith

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 16:43:32 EDT

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:55:54 -0600 John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
writes:
> >>Hebrews cannot be inspired because it clearly contains a
> factual mistake, >>
>
> I'm puzzled by your example. Can you flesh it out a little?
>
> Maybe I'm dense (no -- PROBABLY I'm dense) but I don't see the
> "factual mistake."
>
> Burgy
>
> www.burgy.50megs.com/astory.htm (a story to tell)
>
> Ubi Caritas

Burgy,
The quoted sentence is part of a larger whole that began with acceptance
of Glenn's claim that God's word must be error free, so that any error
makes it other than revelation. Then I cited Hebrews 9:2 and 3, which
place the altar of incense (AV censer, altar of incense in the margin) in
the Holy of Holies with the chest of the covenant. Since the Holy of
Holies was entered only once a year, and the high priest was to burn
incense daily, and the lengthy description of the building and erecting
the Tabernacle in the Pentateuch places the altar in the Holy Place,
there is a factual mistake in Hebrews, even in the late texts used by the
AV translators. Critical editions agree. Since you do not share Glenn's
assumption about revelation, it zipped past you. Not sharing Glenn's
presuppositions does not make you dense.
Dave