Re: Coercion

From: Josh Bembenek <jbembe@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 11:07:59 EDT

Howard-

Lest we venture too far on the seas of theology without an anchor to
biblical authority, I'd like to weigh in my two cents with a quote from Paul
(certaintly a human, but certaintly not a fringe teaching of the collection
of humans in the bible):

1 Corinthians 1:

20Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of
this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in
the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was
pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who
believe. 22Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23but we
preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to
Gentiles, 24but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ
the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For the foolishness of God is
wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's
strength.
26Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you
were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of
noble birth. 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the
wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28He chose
the lowly things of this world and the despised things -- and the things
that are not -- to nullify the things that are, 29so that no one may boast
before him. 30It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has
become for us wisdom from God--that is, our righteousness, holiness and
redemption. 31Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the
Lord."[4]

I think perspective correctly has it that God's weakest thought is much
greater in thought than our greatest attempt to understand, emphasizing the
role of faith and underscoring our ineptitude to access truth without God
granting it. That being said, of course, Romans 12 1-3 does indicate we
need to spend some effort testing and approving...

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your
bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your
spiritual[1] act of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of
this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will
be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and
perfect will.
3For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of
yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober
judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

Pardon me if I've entered the discussion without sufficient context...

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar get it now!