Re: YEC Destroying Faith

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 12:52:54 EDT

Re: YEC Destroying FaithHoward
     [As an aside, let me add that several years ago I left the Christian Reformed Church and joined a congregation that describes itself as an "independent, liberal church." I am happy to wear the label "liberal Christian," although I prefer the label "progressive Christian." :) ]

  Howard Van Till

  Sorry Howard I cannot buy into this at all. As a member and clergyman of a broad church - Church of England I have long been in the position of seeing the weakness of the "liberal Church". We have had John Robinson, Maurice Wiles Don Cupitt, Spong and their followers who frankly have little to offer apart from a temporary sanctuary for those who have been beaten up by nasty evangelicals (not all are but some are even among Anglicans). We get the usual playing down of Trinitarianism, seeing the Bible as a good religious book, playing down of ethics etc and we end up with a vacuous religious mishmash.

  Yes I am as aware as any on the fundamentalist wing of evangelicals who can get very nasty and you have experienced far more than I have (though I was nearly sacked by a fundamentalist vicar who didn't even think I was a Christian.) But I find to go the way you have gone is to throw out the baby with the bathwater, as it is possible to escape from fundamentalism without rejecting basic orthodoxy.

  I do not mean to be harsh in any way but feel I must say this.

  Michael