RE: Coercion

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 12:03:36 EDT

>If this is the case then God has no place in a discussion about science,
>because science is about asking questions.
>
>-----
>Your question " Why did God act to assure outcome X or choose not to
>assure outcome Y?" is in fact Job's question. You can read for
>yourself God's answer. God essentially choses not to answer Job and
>simply points out that He is God and that Job is not. You can find
>the same sort of answer in Romans 9 where the absurdity of the pot
>questioning the potter is highlighted.

Josh,

My comment is not about asking questions in general. My comment is
not even particularly about Howard's question. I even think it's ok
to ask the questions... But sometimes we must be satisfied with an
answer from God of the sort "I am God and you are not and I choose
not to answer your question." I certainly have no answer for much of
the evil in the world, especially when I believe that God's in
control of things. I trust God's goodness and purpose even if I don't
comprehend it. Sometimes that's what we're called to do.

Part of the problem with this whole discussion is that it really has
little to do with science. That's why Christians and non-Christians
(or divide the human race any other way you might) can do science
together as long as they accept certain assumptions about the nature
of the world. Why those assumptions are true are metaphysical and
theological questions and have little impact on the actual practice
of science. I don't believe that we can scientifically ascertain how
God ordinarily interacts with the physical world.

TG

--
Fort Collins, Colorado  80523