Re: YEC Destroying Faith

From: Howard J. Van Till <hvantill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 11:08:59 EDT

I had intended to stay out of this thread, but . . . .

I think a part of the disagreement arises out of vastly differing concepts
of what it means to say "the bible was divinely inspired." That, in turn,
may be connected to our thread on "coercion."

Glenn has done a good job of representing what it means to the YEC:

> The YEC logic (and I still think it is good)
> 1. God created the earth
> 2. God isn't senile so he knows what happened
> 3. God has a choice--communicate what actually happened at creation or
> communicate a fictional account (There is only one thing which actually
> happened.)
> 4. [someone] tells me that it doesn't have historical truth (thus is
> not the thing that actually happened)
> 5. Therefore the Bible is False, or God isn't telling the truth
> 6 Both options bad.

It seems to me that underlying this YEC form of logic is a particular
concept of divine inspiration.

Glenn, would I be correct to infer that when a YEC says that "the Bible is
divinely inspired" he/she is saying that "the Bible's information content
has either been communicated to the writers directly from the Divine Data
Base or, if information is drawn from the writer's own memory or knowledge,
it has been checked by God for accuracy and declared to be fully true"? Is
that what it means when a YEC says "the Bible is God's Written Word"?

I may have additional comments, but I want to be sure I understand the YEC
concept of inspiration first.

Howard Van Till