Re: YEC Destroying Faith

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Sun Apr 18 2004 - 16:16:18 EDT

On Friday, April 16, 2004, at 12:10 PM, Rich Blinne wrote:

> By being clear that Genesis is NOT a myth or fairy
> tale, that is what is protecting the individual from atheism. I would
> also not put too much stock in any particular "solution", concordist or
> not. We can survey the various approaches and show that a solution is
> possible. It is the "I have the definitive answer" that got the people
> in
> trouble in the first place. (snip) Personally, I favor Terry
> Gray's approach: there is a solution but I just don't know what it is.
> On
> reason why I am partial to this is because Terry and I share the same
> Calvinist tradition. Within Calvinism there a doctrine known as
> compatiblism. Namely, the concepts of Divine sovereignty and human
> responsibility are presumed compatible even if we cannot figure out how
> they are resolved.

I'm glad to find that my own view -- there is a solution, I just don't
know what it is -- has valid Calvinist credentials.
However, for a variety of reasons, most if not all YEC's insist on
having a solution. Rightly or wrongly, that's what they insist on.
About all I can offer in dealing with them is to establish our own
Christian credentials with them. If that makes them think about what
we propose, well and good. If not, well, I'm stuck.

> As scientists and engineers this drives us nuts. We
> want to get to the bottom of things. It is this very desire/temptation
> that messed up the YEC.

I think this is a phenomenon of the times we live in, which is shared
by more than just scientists and engineers.

> We need to be aware that we might share the same
> character flaw. A little humilty here goes a long way.
Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148