Re: YEC Destroying Faith

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 19:49:38 EDT

Rich Blinne wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 06:12:15 -0400, "George Murphy" <gmurphy@raex.com>
> said:
> > Rich Blinne wrote:
> > > That's why I am convinced that we shouldn't be on a crusade about this. It
> > > is one thing to be a safety net when someone falls. It is yet another thing
> > > to "push" them. If we are indeed right, it is better for them to enter the
> > > Kingdom in error than not to enter at all.
> >
> > True - but! Unless YECs are very effective in shielding themselves & their
> > children from the real world, they are going to encounter evidence that
> > the earth &
> > universe are old, that evolution has occurrred, &c. Is it better for
> > them to encounter
> > that in a course taught by an atheist at a public university or in some
> > type of
> > presentation by a Christian?
>
> George, I am not against being proactive here. The temptation, however,
> is to be overly zealous. The "liberalism" that Glenn and I are concerned
> about is where it is not merely an alternative interpretation of
> Scripture but where the divine nature of Scripture itself is dismissed.
> If I came to the conclusion that the Bible was merely human, then it
> would be worse than useless. It would be how I view the Koran. That is,
> it would be evil because it claims to be from God but is not. While we
> may disagree about how to interpret Genesis 1, it is undeniable that the
> Bible claims a divine origin. If it does not have a divine origin, then
> it is a lie and it is morally reprehensible to follow it. As such,
> becoming a "liberal" as defined above really isn't an option. Thus, when
> discussing this with YECs or ex-YECs, an unequivocal support of Scripture
> being God's Word is essential. Otherwise, we are spreading atheism. It is
> the minced support of Scripture that makes the YEC and ex-YEC justifiably
> suspicious of us. Our yes needs to be yes, and our no, no.

        As far as I'm concerned, whether or not the Bible is God's Word is not an issue.
But belief that it is does NOT imply that particular parts of it are to be read as
historical narrative. The assumption that truth (or even "true truth" or Truth) can
only be communicated in that literary genre is totally unwarranted & the insistence that
God is required to communicate with us in a particular literary genre is the height of
presumption.

                                                        Shalom,
                                                        George

--