Re: YEC Destroying Faith

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 20:03:33 EDT

Rich Blinne wrote:

> I started this thread and what started it was my very critical blog entry
> concerning Ham and Falwell. That entry also had comments concerning
> Glenn's spiritual journey. It is interesting to note that both Glenn and
> myself were commenting on how we became ex-YEC with our Christianity
> still intact. We also know people who have become ex-YEC but apostacized.
> I asked this group my questions in order that that specific danger be
> avoided. Great care needs to be done in how we communicate things
> because we might actualize the potential danger.
>
> I regret that I inadvertantly posted Glenn's private e-mail and I wish to
> personally apologize for that error. That error did confirm that we are
> truly scientists and engineers here. Namely, we really need some
> sensitivity training. We cannot be unconcerned about how what we say gets
> heard. As such, Glenn and my personal experience should be granted a good
> deal of weight. We know how we would have internalized the arguments when
> we were YEC. We rightly rail against YECs who don't understand how we can
> be Christians and not YEC. As a result, they slander us. Sadly, we seem
> to be all to willing to return the "favor". It was said that our faith
> is more "mature" than theirs. Well, then let's apply James and prove our
> faith by our deeds.

        We cannot be unconcerned about how what we say gets heard indeed. & what about
the way it's heard, not by YECs in crisis but by scientifically literate non-Christians?
What about the way it's heard by non-Christians who are able to see how artificial all
the concordist explanations of Genesis (which generally contradict one another) are?

        There is a limit to the extent to which we can be all things to all people. We
should be sensitive to the concerns of YECs in crisis & can take a gradual approach with
them, but at the end of the day it is necessary to speak the truth.

                                                        Shalom,
                                                        George

--
George L. Murphy