A Thought on Infallibility and Inerrancy

From: Douglas Barber <dlbarber1954@verizon.net>
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 10:41:46 EDT

Would anyone here deny that the empirical world is the sole infallible
and inerrant source of information pertinent to the testing of beliefs
concerning possible order present within it, and that God is its author?
This is a peculiar but not, I think, false way of stating the matter,
for the purposes of the comparison I wish to make. Would anyone claim
that any human statement of any natural law is infallible or inerrant,
no matter how carefully formulated and rigorously tested against the
evidence available in this infallible and inerrant source? Would anyone
claim that, by making it seem apparent to humankind's most reliable
source of empirical information - the senses - that the sun revolves
around the earth, that it was any part of the intention of the creator
to mislead Ptolemy?

How, if at all, is this situation different from the situation with
regard to the Bible and beliefs about God's action in history and God's
will, as seen by a person who accepts Luther's "sola scriptura" principle?

Doug Barber
Crisfield, MD