Re: YEC Destroying Faith

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 13:40:33 EDT

Consider Paul's teaching on the resurrection in 1 Cor 15 vs 36. That means
Paul is wrong as seeds don't die if they germinate and if they die they cant
germinate. There are several things we can conclude from that;
1. Paul is wrong and thus may be wrong on everything else he says. So we
must ignore Paul's letters, and probably deny the resurrection. After all
when God inspired Paul to write he should have corrected his deficient
natural history..
Various other possibilities and
2. Paul used the typical natural history of his day (I wonder whether he
read Pliny) as an illustration of the resurrection. As such it is helpful
and doesn't need much explanation.

We also see all the OT references to a flat earth Gen 1 6-8, Ex 20.4, Is
40.22 (see bob Schneider's ASA article on that) and here God did not correct
the inaccurate cosmology of the writers. Now Paul Seely has extended
Calvin's ideas of accommodation in a very useful way. The best place to read
Calvin's ideas are in his commentary of Genesis. Accommodation was used by
many writers in the 18th century to allow for geological time.

Surely God inspired writers to get His message across not to teach astronomy
and other recondite arts (quote from Calvin). Genesis tells us about the
creator not the asteroid belt.

Perhaps we would do better to say we read the Bible realistically rather
than literally

Michael

P.S. see my comments on the Theology Web and how Terry Mortenson aKA
Acanthostega likes me not.