RE: YEC Destroying Faith

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 13:41:15 EDT

I believe some of the Christian programming on TV is more of a hindrance
to Christ than anything YEC can do. Those who do not know Jesus as Lord
and Savior will use anything against the Christian Faith. Let us face it
the Creator invoked in our Declaration of Independence is abhorrent to
the nonbelievers. My daughter graduated from the University of North
Carolina at Wilmington and hers was the last diploma that said, "In the
year of our Lord."

Moorad

-----Original Message-----
From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu [mailto:asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu] On
Behalf Of Phillip Jones
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 12:10 PM
To: asa@calvin.edu
Subject: Re: YEC Destroying Faith

I disagree with the assessment that we "shouldn't be on a crusade about
this.' YEC belief does significant damage to the cause of Christ because
the
viewpoint portrays Christians as naive and non-intellectual. Thanks to
media
coverage of the extremists, there is a widely known assumption that
there is
no middle ground with regard to creation. The media exposure leads
people to
believe there are only two choices: atheistic evolution or YEC. So when
a
Christian attempts to witness to a scientifically inclined
non-Christian,
the roadblock of these options stands in the way of message of
salvation.

Educating Christians that recognition of Genesis 1-3 as having a
theological
meaning as opposed to a scientific meaning does NOT threaten
interpretation
of the remainder of the Bible, nor does it reduce the role of Christ.
See
these articles for details on this:
http://springfield.news-leader.com/opinions/_archive/0331-Creationho-516
22.html
http://www.theisticevolution.org/lit_genre.html

If the YEC viewpoint went away, then some of the scientifically inclined
folk (i.e. professionals, amateurs, and people who love to read
scientific
literature) would not deem Christianity in contempt, evangelism would be
more effective, AND those Christians who are on the fence of belief vs.
doubt because of internal strife over the creation issue would find
peace.

-Phil

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Blinne" <e-lists@blinne.org>
To: "'Glenn Morton'" <glennmorton@entouch.net>; "'George Murphy'"
<gmurphy@raex.com>
Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 10:33 PM
Subject: RE: YEC Destroying Faith

> That's why I am convinced that we shouldn't be on a crusade about
this. It
> is one thing to be a safety net when someone falls. It is yet another
thing
> to "push" them. If we are indeed right, it is better for them to enter
the
> Kingdom in error than not to enter at all.
>
> I understand that faith is better understood as trusting in God's
character
> than the certitude on facts preached by YEC leaders. But, what a
> wrong-headed approach as Glenn notes above does is to make God out to
be a
> liar (or that He simply doesn't exist). How can people trust in that
kind
of
> character? We all agree that YEC can destroy people's faith. But, we
also
> need to understand how we can be part of the problem rather than part
of
the
> solution. Having people trust God is far, far more important than
winning
an
> argument.
Received on Fri Apr 16 13:41:37 2004

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Fri Apr 16 2004 - 13:41:38 EDT