RE: YEC Destroying Faith

From: Rich Blinne <e-lists@blinne.org>
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 12:10:31 EDT

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:41:28 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Blake Nelson"
<bnelson301@yahoo.com> said:
> Thanks, Glenn. Surprisingly, I have actually helped
> some YEC folks open themselves to other understandings
> of Genesis without them becoming atheists. I think,
> scientifically, those handful of counter examples
> would disprove your assertion conclusively. ;)
>
> To my knowledge, my discussing the place of Genesis in
> christian faith and praxis with people who take a YEC
> position has never led them to atheism. In fact,
> putting Genesis into proper perspective or as George
> said, getting the priorities right, is perhaps the
> most effective element in helping those in crisis.
>
> And contrary to the pastiche you've repeatedly offered
> about what such a putting Genesis into perspective
> entails, there are lots of ways to do so without
> saying their understanding is "absolutely" incorrect
> or that Genesis is just a "myth" or "fairy tale", etc.
>

> BTW, I still don't see the solution that you
> implicitly offer. Just so I am clear, is it your
> particular brand of concordism? Dick's? Hugh Ross?
> Anyone's? After your dismissing the position of
> Paul, George, et al. I am still missing what you think
> the solution is.

What makes any attempt successful or not is not what is on the table but
what is off the table. By being clear that Genesis is NOT a myth or fairy
tale, that is what is protecting the individual from atheism. I would
also not put too much stock in any particular "solution", concordist or
not. We can survey the various approaches and show that a solution is
possible. It is the "I have the definitive answer" that got the people in
trouble in the first place. If Glenn's or Dick's particular solution gets
shot down then we are back to square one. Personally, I favor Terry
Gray's approach: there is a solution but I just don't know what it is. On
reason why I am partial to this is because Terry and I share the same
Calvinist tradition. Within Calvinism there a doctrine known as
compatiblism. Namely, the concepts of Divine sovereignty and human
responsibility are presumed compatible even if we cannot figure out how
they are resolved. As scientists and engineers this drives us nuts. We
want to get to the bottom of things. It is this very desire/temptation
that messed up the YEC. We need to be aware that we might share the same
character flaw. A little humilty here goes a long way.