Re: YEC Destroying Faith

From: Phillip Jones <pcjones5@comcast.net>
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 12:10:29 EDT

I disagree with the assessment that we "shouldn't be on a crusade about
this.' YEC belief does significant damage to the cause of Christ because the
viewpoint portrays Christians as naive and non-intellectual. Thanks to media
coverage of the extremists, there is a widely known assumption that there is
no middle ground with regard to creation. The media exposure leads people to
believe there are only two choices: atheistic evolution or YEC. So when a
Christian attempts to witness to a scientifically inclined non-Christian,
the roadblock of these options stands in the way of message of salvation.

Educating Christians that recognition of Genesis 1-3 as having a theological
meaning as opposed to a scientific meaning does NOT threaten interpretation
of the remainder of the Bible, nor does it reduce the role of Christ. See
these articles for details on this:
http://springfield.news-leader.com/opinions/_archive/0331-Creationho-51622.html
http://www.theisticevolution.org/lit_genre.html

If the YEC viewpoint went away, then some of the scientifically inclined
folk (i.e. professionals, amateurs, and people who love to read scientific
literature) would not deem Christianity in contempt, evangelism would be
more effective, AND those Christians who are on the fence of belief vs.
doubt because of internal strife over the creation issue would find peace.

-Phil