Re: YEC Destroying Faith

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 07:53:58 EDT

As an example of YEC logic:

:>
> The YEC logic (and I still think it is good)
> 1. god created the earth
> 2. God isn't senile so he knows what happened
> 3. God has a choice--communicate what actually happened at creation or
> communicate a fictional account (There is only one thing which actually
> happened.)
> 4. Blake Nelson tells me that it doesn't have historical truth (thus is
> not the thing that actually happened)
> 5. Therefore the Bible is False, or God isn't telling the truth
> 6 Both options bad.

This is a good example of either/or thinking leading to a conclusion based
upon bad logic. I agree with Glenn that we are faced with a serious
epistemological problem, and that the thinking process needs to be
addressed. How can one get a YEC to see that there is a different way of
thinking about the Bible?

Bob