defining liberalism

From: bivalve <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com>
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 19:07:30 EDT

>Perhaps the best definition of "liberal" is "one who loves liberty." The following is perhaps my favorite quotation:
>
>"The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right; it is the spirit which seeks to understand the minds of other persons; which weighs their interests alongside its own, without bias ...
>." -- Judge Learned Hand, 5/21/1944 "

For a less idealistic definition of political liberals, Ambrose Bierce's Devil's Dictionary is a good source:

conservative (n.) a politician enamored of existing evils, as opposed to the liberal, who wishes to replace them with new ones.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics