Re: YEC Destroying Faith

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 12:47:04 EDT

John W Burgeson wrote:

> George posted, in part: "I'm not sure whether you categorize me as a
> "liberal": I don't. Anyway, I grew
> up in church setting in which evolution was rejected & in which YEC was,
> at least in
> theory, held. As a freshman in high school I did a science project
> called "A Refutation
> of the Theory of Evolution." I gradually exited that kind of thing with
> some temporary
> help from "apparent age" & "day-age" notions, & without much trauma of
> faith or
> intellect. "
>
> My story is sort of similar, although I don't regard the word "liberal"
> as a pejorative. I know a lot of folks here do. That is probably because
> we define it differently.
>
> My own definition wanders around a bit. Theologically I have no problems
> with the Apostle's Creed. Politically I perceived the Republican party
> leaving me about the time Reagan came in and after some reflection
> changed to a not too loyal Democrat. Economically I am conservative.
> Socially I favor governments regulating what businesses can legally do
> and providing some measure of support to the poor and needy. ALL the poor
> and needy, not just the "deserving poor and needy."
>
> Perhaps the best definition of "liberal" is "one who loves liberty." The
> following is perhaps my favorite quotation:
>
> "The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is
> right; it is the spirit which seeks to understand the minds of other
> persons; which weighs their interests alongside its own, without bias ...
> ." -- Judge Learned Hand, 5/21/1944 "
>
> It's an ideal, of course.

Burgy -
        I didn't mean to use "liberal" pejoratively (though I would have 25 years ago).
I just don't think it's very accurate to categorize my views that way, although people
who define liberal as "to the left of Bob Jones University" of course would.
        & I think "liberal" has significantly different meanings in theology & in
politics, though of course there's a significant overlap between people who hold the 2
types of views.

                                                Shalom,
                                                George

George L. Murphy