Re: YEC Destroying Faith

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 10:31:56 EDT

George posted, in part: "I'm not sure whether you categorize me as a
"liberal": I don't. Anyway, I grew
up in church setting in which evolution was rejected & in which YEC was,
at least in
theory, held. As a freshman in high school I did a science project
called "A Refutation
of the Theory of Evolution." I gradually exited that kind of thing with
some temporary
help from "apparent age" & "day-age" notions, & without much trauma of
faith or
intellect. "

My story is sort of similar, although I don't regard the word "liberal"
as a pejorative. I know a lot of folks here do. That is probably because
we define it differently.

My own definition wanders around a bit. Theologically I have no problems
with the Apostle's Creed. Politically I perceived the Republican party
leaving me about the time Reagan came in and after some reflection
changed to a not too loyal Democrat. Economically I am conservative.
Socially I favor governments regulating what businesses can legally do
and providing some measure of support to the poor and needy. ALL the poor
and needy, not just the "deserving poor and needy."

Perhaps the best definition of "liberal" is "one who loves liberty." The
following is perhaps my favorite quotation:

"The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is
right; it is the spirit which seeks to understand the minds of other
persons; which weighs their interests alongside its own, without bias ...
." -- Judge Learned Hand, 5/21/1944 "

It's an ideal, of course.

Burgy

www.burgy.50megs.com/astory.htm (a story to tell)