Re: The Party's Over

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 10:50:38 EDT

>>"We have to take these statements [about running out of Saudi oil]
seriously because of the damage they can do to [sic] influencing
desision-makers. And I think it would be tragic for the world to believe
that we're running out of oil in the next 10 years. We may be running
out of oil in the next 50-80 years; that's something else.">>

I guess that if Glenn said that, I'd have to give it credence. For a
politician to say it, and not give grounds, is like a lot of things
politicians say. They say what their advisors tell them, and their
advisors are constrained by the political system to downplay the
negatives and focus on the positives.

That happens in business as well. I saw it over and over at IBM. A flip
chart (old technology, I know) which had two charts of "exposures" (IBM
speak for things that would scuttle the project) would be presented to
middle management. By the time it reached the decision maker, those two
pages were either gone or relegated to a footnote.

I suspect that goes on at the big oil companies as well. The bigger the
company, the more likely. Nobody wants to be the bearer of bad news.

That happens in government too, of course. Bush, for instance, only
"knows" what he is told. Unlike some liberal Democrats, I do not hold him
accountable for 9-11.

Back to the issue of whether it is "this decade" or "50-80 years." If it
IS the latter, and being a Pollyanna by nature, I hope so, that is way
different than "this decade." That it is "sometime in the future" is
probably without question. But 50-80 years is a long time in technology
history. So many possible scenarios.

BTW, if the YECs are right, then there is the possibility of new
discoveries of oil fields at very deep depths, as I understand. Gold's
theories have not, as I understand, been refuted.

Burgy

www.burgy.50megs.com/astory.htm (a story to tell)

Ubi Caritas

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!