Re: Coercion

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 09:09:45 EDT

Howard J. Van Till wrote:

> On 4/12/04 8:54 AM, "Peter Ruest" <pruest@mail-ms.sunrise.ch> wrote:
>
> > last week, a close friend of mine has been definitely diagnosed as
> > having Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS) - in particular, the bulbar form. His
> > swallowing and speaking ability has been deteriorating rapidly, together
> > with progressive weakness of leg, arm, hand, and respiratory musculature.
>
> Peter,
>
> I am sorry to hear of your friend's diagnosis. I'm sure that your close
> friendship with him will be an important element in his dealing with ALS.
> Having once faced the uncertainties associated with a cancer diagnosis, I
> have an idea of what he is going through.
>
> I certainly do not wish to appear insensitive to the tragedy of this
> situation. But as I reflect on realities of life such as your friend's
> diagnosis, and in the context of your proposals re God choosing the outcomes
> of quantum events, and in the context of various comments on the "coercion"
> thread, here is my question: Do you think that it is possible that God could
> have chosen a series of quantum event outcomes such that your friend would
> not now have ALS?

        The fact that quantum & chaos theories provide God some freedom to act within
the limits described by the laws of physics doesn't mean that God has freedom to do just
anything. The problem with discussing a complex phenomenon like the development of ALS
is that of course we don't know all the processes involved & how narrow God's
self-imposed limitations (if that's the appropriate description) are, so we're left to
debate the matter in the abstract.

                                                        Shalom,
                                                        George

George L. Murphy