Re: Coercion

From: Howard J. Van Till <hvantill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 19:34:58 EDT

On 4/12/04 3:39 PM, "Loren Haarsma" <lhaarsma@calvin.edu> wrote:

> God's New Testament answer to the problem of evil seems to be,
> "Do what Jesus did.
> --Do good.
> --Suffer evil without passing it on.
> --Trust God's promise of the resurrection to provide the ultimate answer."

That seems to me to be a helpful answer to the question, "How shall I live
in a world in which evil exists?"

But the question we were dealing with was, "How can we understand the
presence of evil in a world in which an omnipotent God is thought by many:

a) to be able and occasionally willing forcefully to intervene (superseding
the natural causal chain),

b) to be "orchestrating our lives,"

c) to be "fully in control," so that

d) "God always gets His way."