Re: Ardipithecus kadabba dated 5.2 to 5.8 million years ago

From: bivalve <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com>
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 12:36:14 EDT

> unless they wish to argue that God caused the rift. In that case, the Creator intervened in the physical world to cause a biological effect.<

Of course, this depends on what sort of causation is accepted here; "Design" as used by ID advocates in the context of biological systems raises the problems you note, whereas accepting God's causation along the lines of a traditional understanding of providence disproves the demand for intervention-style action.

>We could call that movement "II" (or "Aye Aye, Sir")<

But aye ayes are lemurs from Madagascar, much further from humans than Ardipithecus.

The genus name is in a footnote in the original article, added in proof (not the best taxonomic practice). Without looking it up, I would add the etymological caution that some of the recently proposed scientific names for hominids have utilized words from local languages. Thus, similarities to Greek roots may be coincidental.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics