Re: Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis)

From: Dr. Blake Nelson <bnelson301@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 12:35:44 EDT

--- Peter Ruest <pruest@mail-ms.sunrise.ch> wrote:

> Dear ASA friends,
>
> last week, a close friend of mine has been
> definitely diagnosed as
> having Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS) - in particular,
> the bulbar form. His
> swallowing and speaking ability has been
> deteriorating rapidly, together
> with progressive weakness of leg, arm, hand, and
> respiratory musculature.
>
> Now he himself, a computer engineer, brought to my
> attention the fact
> that Stephen Hawking's disease is ALS, as well. If I
> remember correctly,
> Hawking has been working and writing books on a
> computer and speaking by
> means of a speech synthesizer for perhaps 30 years.
> This motivated me to
> ask you whether any of you know where to get
> information about possible
> technical devices enabling the ALS patients to
> continue speaking (or
> otherwise communicating with other people) and
> dealing with a computer.
>
> Also, I dimly recollect having read that Hawking has
> or had a Christian
> wife who wrote a book about her life with him. Is
> this correct? And can
> anyone give me the reference?

The book is:

Music to Move the Stars : A Life with Stephen Hawking
(Updated Edition)
by Jane Hawking, Trans-Atlantic Publications

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0330392476/qid=1081787636/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-2329308-1056141?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Apologies if someone has already posted this info.