Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis)

From: Peter Ruest <pruest@mail-ms.sunrise.ch>
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 08:54:29 EDT

Dear ASA friends,

last week, a close friend of mine has been definitely diagnosed as
having Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS) - in particular, the bulbar form. His
swallowing and speaking ability has been deteriorating rapidly, together
with progressive weakness of leg, arm, hand, and respiratory musculature.

Now he himself, a computer engineer, brought to my attention the fact
that Stephen Hawking's disease is ALS, as well. If I remember correctly,
Hawking has been working and writing books on a computer and speaking by
means of a speech synthesizer for perhaps 30 years. This motivated me to
ask you whether any of you know where to get information about possible
technical devices enabling the ALS patients to continue speaking (or
otherwise communicating with other people) and dealing with a computer.

Also, I dimly recollect having read that Hawking has or had a Christian
wife who wrote a book about her life with him. Is this correct? And can
anyone give me the reference?

Thank you for your help!

Peter