Re: Fossil calibration

From: Keith Miller <kbmill@ksu.edu>
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 12:41:25 EDT

Just a brief comment.

Because of the problems with a simplistic molecular clock, I tend to
focus not on estimates of divergence times but on the inferred _order_
in which derived characteristics were added to an evolving lineage.
The ordering of these branching points determined from cladograms
constructed with molecular data can be compared with those constructed
with morphological data. Furthermore, they can be compared with the
order of appearance reconstructed from our current knowledge of the
fossil record. These various methods provide multiple independent
reconstructions of branching patterns in the history of life.

Keith

Keith B. Miller
Research Assistant Professor
Dept of Geology, Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506-3201
785-532-2250
http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~kbmill/