Ardipithecus kadabba dated 5.2 to 5.8 million years ago

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 10:30:31 EDT
A recent article in The Scientist references an earlier predecessor to our closest ape relative, Australopithicus.  As I remember, ard means "earth," so I guess Ardipithecus would translate as "earth ape."

Here is a quote from the article:

Australopithecus is thought to have reigned for millions of years, with the exact relationships of species in place and time still unknown. The group includes two celebrities: the Taung child discovered in a South African cave in 1924, and Lucy, from the Afar region in 1974. Lucy's skeleton was remarkably complete, but evidence of older Australopithecus is more scant.

Often, the story must be told, or amended, from teeth. In 1994, White, Asfaw, and Gen Suwa of the University of Tokyo described the oldest Australopithecus, A. ramidus, but then reassigned it to its own genus, Ardipithecus. The reason: The large front teeth, small back teeth, thinner enamel, and canines were more apelike. For a time, it held the title "earliest hominid," but three others have since taken its place: an older Ardipithecus and two other genera found elsewhere in Africa. The youngest of the three contenders, Ardipithecus kadabba, lived from 5.2 to 5.8 million years ago in Afar. "We are looking at more than a million years between Ardipithecus ramidus and kadabba. That is part of the evidence that they were two different species," says discoverer Haile-Selassie.

Here is the URL.

http://www.the-scientist.com/yr2004/apr/feature_040412.html

Dick Fischer  - Genesis Proclaimed Association
www.genesisproclaimed.org