RE: Coercion

From: Gough, Joshua <xzg3@cdc.gov>
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 15:53:39 EDT

Greetings,
I'm joining this late, but it's a question on my mind lately. How does
God chose which method of intervention? Is this something we cannot
investigate by virtue of his unknowability, or can we look at events
described in holy texts, such as the parting of waters, or the
multiplication of food and discern certain patterns of invervention?

What about intervention via "agents" that are not agents in a
traditional sense at all, but are mechanical creations of other agents?
For example, would God intervene to prevent the launching of a nuclear
weapon against Israel? If God would, which method of intervention would
God choose? Would God take the path of least resistance and modify the
software instructions within the operational circuitry of the weaponry
such that a command to fire would result in a null operation, or would
God choose a more theatrical display of power more like those recorded
in the Bible?

Would it be possible for me to author a software program that iterates
within an endless for loop which does nothing but send packet bombs to
internet sites in Israel in attempts to disrupt their communications
networks and have this for loop interrupted by the miraculous
intervention of God? And again if so, how should we expect God to
intervene in this matter? Does he manipulate the executing program code,
recompile the code to do something different, modify the communication
signal after it enters the pipeline? All of these options are available
to God, so how do we make reasonable assumptions as to which option God
would choose to prevent communication network bombing of Israel? Or, is
this simply something outside of the realm of our inquiry and if that is
so, then what is the deciding factor in determining that it is outside
our realm of inquiry? If we have clear patterns of intervention recorded
in scripture, do we only have the ability to investigate those
interventions which strike one as being clearly the result of activity
that cannot be ostensibly attributed to mere natural factors alone?

For example, suppose a hacker launches multiple attacks from various
launching points all around the globe against Israeli communications
networks in the fashion mentioned above, but to his dismay the attacks
cease to reach their destination, but for no apparent reason. Does the
hacker give up and claim that God has thwarted his attempts or does he
investigate to look for a possible reason as to why the packets are not
reaching their destination. If the hacker finds that all packets sent
simply vanish from all locations, but when he attempts to bomb another
site, all operations occur as expected, can he then be justified in
claiming a miracle has occurred? If however, God chooses a different
path of threat-aversion and protection of Israel by recompiling the code
such that a run-time error is generated when each and every program
around the world is run, does the hacker then attempt to recompile his
code and try again, only to find that the exact same thing happens?

Or, should we expect a more theatrical intervention such as has been
recorded in the Bible?

I've never applied this type of thought to digital or mechanical
systems, but it applies to the question of where God acts and how. When
I think about some of the stories I read about disease researchers and
vaccination volunteers going to Africa and encountering stories from
local peoples that attribute disease to punishment from displeasing the
gods or some other superstitious event, I cannot imagine how those in
the field must feel. There is no easy way for them to prove that their
gods are not real or punishing them for bad deeds, though clearly they
can see the affects of medicine and cleaner water, healthier practices,
etc.

Are there any clues from scripture or our own thinking as to why God
would have chosen parting of waters rather than enabling the Israelites
to traverse the surface of the water and denying such ability to their
pursuers? But more importantly, are there any irrefutable witnesses to
miracles in our world today? Is there any evidence why a vaccination
volunteer should neglect telling a superstitious African that his gods
will more than likely not cure him of ailment?

Thanks,
Josh