Re: A freely choosing God? (was: Faith, Evolution, and Tax Dollars?)

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 07:27:03 EDT

Luther wasn't a systematic theologian in the modern sense: He never wrote
a Summa or Institutes or Church Dogmatics. But that doesn't mean that there wasn't
anything systematic about his theology. While later Lutheran Orthodoxy didn't always
follow Luther, his major themes were generally maintained. One exception was Luther's
theology of the cross: Schmid's compend of Lutheran Orthodoxy doesn't mention
/theologia crucis/. (Of course Lutheran Orthodoxy did emphasize the importance of the
death of Christ as an historical event & in the plan of salvation but not Luther's
theologia crucis in the technical sense in which Luther sets it out in the Heidelberg
Disputation.)
        The recovery of Aristotle & its use in the systematizing of theology in
generations after Luther were largely due to Melanchthon. While Luther recognized
Aristotle's value in logic, the Poetics &c, he thought his use in theology was
disastrous. "Whoever would theologize with Aristotle without losing his soul must first
become thoroughly a fool with Christ."

        BTW - What happened to the idea that responses to posts were supposed to follow,
not proceed? Once a thread gets started with later posts first it becomes very
confusing to try to change to the more logical order.

                                                        Shalom,
                                                        George