Re: A freely choosing God? (was: Faith, Evolution, and Tax Dollars?)

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 15:37:11 EDT

We should remember Augustine's dictum to the Trinity in that we speak of the
Trinity as Father Son and Holy Spirit etc "as it is the only alternative to
silence", or I may add to Unitarianism which Erasmus Darwin described as a
featherbed to catch a falling Christian or some other viewpoint which is on
the way to atheism.
No we need a full-blooded Nicene faith according to the
Nicene-Constantinople Creed which is Trinitarian, and by implication
following Athanasius hold Creatio ex nihilo and of course the two natures of
Christ.

This is nice and dogmatic but I haven't got the time to argue each point in
turn.

O course if God is love then He is limited in that he cannot hate or do
evil.
WE should be careful of to much philosophising on the nature of God in an
abstract way if we do not realise the limitations of human language - or
else we end up in the trap of Lutheran or Calvinistic scholastics who have
every buttoned up.

Michael

P.S. may I recommend two books by Fitz Allison retired Bishop of South
Carolina - the Rise of Moralism and the Cruelty of Heresy. Bp Spong doesn't
like these books!!