RE: Faith, Evolution, and Tax Dollars?

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 16:05:05 EDT

And, to give further clarity to my comments...

I like the general line of thinking, in which God is not said to
"intervene" in nature b/c nature is *always* at *all times* under God's
control; and therefore God doesn't "intervene" in God's regular activity.
This has been stressed by many ASA-type authors in addition to Howard, such
as Dick Bube, Donald MacKay, and Charles A. Coulson. Boyle can also be read
in places to mean this. THus, I'm content to think of evolution (a
"natural" process) in this way, as God's means of creating living things.

However, the kind of voluntaristic theology out of which this type of view
has grown historically--the theology that emphasizes God's constant, ongoing
governance of the world and which views the "laws" of nature as human
descriptions of God's faithful regular actions--is also the kind of theology
that emphasizes God's right to act differently in some situations. This is
the old distinction between God's ordinary and extraordinary activity. All
of it is divine activity; most of it can be described in terms of natural
laws.

From this perspective (mine), God does not "intervene," God simply "acts."
However, some of God's acts may not conform to "natural law," that is, they
are special acts that do not fit the ordinary patterns. These might well
cause us as human observers to conclude that God has "intervened" in nature,
though the language does have the difficulty of suggesting (wrongly) that
God is absent from the world at other times. The point is, that God is not
bound always to act in the same ways. God does what God does, whether or
not it fits in our humanly created boxes.

ted