Re: choking on RFEP, a "post script" on deism

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 08:08:48 EST

>>> <Dawsonzhu@aol.com> 04/02/04 08:04AM >>>asks:
Was David Hume actually a deist? I have read some of
his writing, but even in the most philosophical texts
where I have seen him quoted, his writing is typically
used to support a clearly straight faced atheist slant.
Any his usual introduction in philosophy is over the
issue of George Berkeley. I can see where a naturalist
(and deist) view would conflict with inmaterialism anyway,
but I would find myself rather disappointed at the spin that
some of my philosophy professors have put on Hume if he
was actually a deist.

Ted replies: You may be right, Wayne, I won't claim any expertise on Hume.
Obviously he was strongly opposed to biblical religion, as were the deists;
but his attack on the design argument does also suggest atheism, and that
may be a better way to see him.