Re: Canadian Coal - depositional setting

From: Bill Payne <>
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 17:53:01 EST

Hi Kevin,

Couple of quick questions from this post.

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:47:36 -0700 "Kevin Sharman" <>

> "In the Five Cabin Creek area, type 1 channel deposits occur above
> marine deposits of the Sheriff Member (the shoreface sand - KS)...type
> channel deposits consist of fine- to coarse-grained pebbly sandstones
> conglomerates..the conglomerates are massive and clast supported, with
> sandstone matrix and are poorly sorted. Pebbles in the conglomerates
> rounded and 0.5 cm to 2 cm in diameter..some of the sandstones contain
> mudstone pebbles and rip-up clasts. Coal spar is fairly common."

"Coal spar" is a term with various meanings. Can you please
define/describe coal spar? Is this use to describe calcite-filled joints
in coal clasts?

> In other words, a fluvial channel, which has cut into the peat swamp at
> point as evidenced by coal spar. The basal coal is missing; the
> and conglomerates rest directly on the shoreface sandstone. He notes
> lateral facies changes, characteristic of a fluvial environment.

Can you offer any description of the contact between the fluvial-channel
walls and the coal? I would like to know if the fluvial sediments
interfinger with or are gradational with the coal, and, if not, then how
steep are the contacts as measured from what would have been horizontal
at the time of deposition?

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Only $14.95/ month - visit to sign up today!