Re: Georgia and the "E" word

From: William Hamilton <>
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 19:49:49 EST

On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 10:41 AM, wrote:

> Any comments or insights on the recent debate in Georgia about
> avoiding use
> of the word "evolution" in school textbooks?

I found the following in an article in the Atlanta Journal and

Intelligent design holds that living things are too complex and diverse
to have evolved through random mutation. Its proponents argue instead
that life on Earth resulted from a purposeful design by a higher

I think that if we could disabuse Christians of this artificial
dichotomy (random v. God) we could go a long way toward defusing the
evolution issue. We need to do some teaching about what "random" means.
  It doesn't mean "uncaused".
Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148