Re: A Peace Proposal

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 18:04:57 EST

In a way I agree with Burgy's peace proposal but sadly one or two things are
needed first.

1) One should always take someone else's faith commitment at face value and
not charge them with being liberal or fundamentalist with out very good
reason.
Thr worst offenders are those who refer to others as "supposed evangelicals"
or some similar phrase. On the theology web Socrates rubbishes Hugh Ross and
his fellow AIGer Mortenson is obnoxious about Dave Young "who has mislead
many".
There is also a difference between rubbishing and disagreeing. I disagree
with A on homosexuality and B on the person of Christ and am prepared to
argue with them but not rubbish them. (But I cant resist humour which
doesn't always go down!)
2) A rigorous honesty in representing the case of someone else. I fear that
in some cases winning the argument is more important than being honest.
By being honest I do not mean being 100% accurate as we all make mistakes or
are in error, but not distorting either wilfully or negligently.
I have read posts on this listserve which I consider to be seriously in
error, but the person made them in absolute honesty and integrity.
Unfortunately I cannot say that about most YEC writing. That means that even
a truce is well nigh impossible-

Surely no Christian could object to this

Michael