Re: A case for Christianity that does use ID or YEC arguments

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 18:55:18 EST

>>> <douglas.hayworth@perbio.com> 01/30/04 18:14 PM >>> writes:

I could tolerate the ID apologetic if it remained focused on pointing out
how philosophical naturalists have overstepped the limits of science, but
that is not at all what they do. I heard Johnson speak at my father's
church this past October; when asked, he won't comment on what he thinks
about the age of the earth or whether current species arose by speciation
from previous ones, etc. His entire rhetoric and presentation is crafted to
effectively belittle evolution as a whole among the Christian community and
(I assume) to win support for a complete overthrow of evolution. Why don't
IDologists simply acknowledge the evidence that the earth is old and
evolution (descent with modification) has occurred, and then spend their
energy arguing their central point: that evolutionary mechanisms, although
existent and operative, are not SUFFICIENT for the physical and biological
diversity we see today? I would still disagree with them on this point,
but I would fully respect the position as a possibility. As it is, I their
wholesale rejection of evolution is just absurd. I cannot, in good
conscience, promote an apologetic that flows down that stream of logic.

What I am looking for is a reference (book or article) by an author
(theologian/scientist) who concedes -- even argues for -- evolution as an
accurate understanding of the formative history of the cosmos and earth
while also making the case for existence of the Creator and deity of
Christ.

Any suggestions?

Ted replies:
I entirely agree about Johnson being a major problem, esp in his attitude
but also in his flat refusal to put forth his own OEC position (I have no
doubt at all that this is what he believes--or at least did believe if
perhaps he's now wavering).

However, I am pretty sure there has been a genuine split between the
"serious" side of ID, represented by Bill Dembski, and the "popular" side of
ID, represented by Johnson. I have some reasons to think that Bill has or
is separating himself from Seattle, though I won't be more specific than
that.

As for books, I already recommended one that is *exactly* what you call for
above: Polkinhorne's Belief in God in an Age of Science. Short, very deep,
eloquent, and straightforwardly and unabashedly Christian. Another plus: he
clearly and rightly distances his approach from the process theology of
Barbour and Peacocke.

ted

Douglas