A case for Christianity that does use ID or YEC arguments

From: <douglas.hayworth@perbio.com>
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 13:28:24 EST

Dear list friends,

I have a friend whose brother has attacked him for his Christian belief,
chastising him for teaching his home-schooled children from a Christian
perspective, which includes the doctrine of Creation. In defense, my
friend has tried to use intelligent design arguments to show that evolution
does not have all the answers such that it makes belief in God obsolete. I
have worked hard to persuade my friend not to use the ID apologetic (I sent
him one of Van Till's articles as well as the chapter on properly
interpreting Genesis 1 from Charles Hummel's _Galileo Connection_). I
could also send him Keith Miller's new book.

However, I would like to find for him a good layperson-accessible article
or book that he can use to defend theism and Christianity against his
brother's evolution-and-science-make-belief-in-God obsolete rhetoric. I
was wondering if any one can suggest a good, non-ID, stand-alone article or
book written for this apologetic purpose (to a materialist/scientism
audience). The classic "Mere Christianity" and even "Evidence that Demands
a Verdict", although useful in their own contexts, don't address this
audience very well.

Sincerely,
Douglas